Best CG location

Subject: Best CG location
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:50:49
Hi Folks,

When I did my weight and balance I ballasted such that typically I am in the
mid-range of the envelope (60" - just aft actually) with just me on board and
half fuel. When I take-off I set 1 division down trim on the MAC scale and
the airplane just rises off by itself which is most satisfying.

In the cruise however I find I have to use almost full downtrim. When I land
the trim ends up about two divisions of up trim.

Anybody else find this? Is the center of lift aft of the mid-range as shown
on the CG envelope? as I'm assuming that if airplane CG matches center of
lift then trim should be neutral.

With two up I find I don't need quite so much nose down trim in the cruise
which I guess is to be expected but its still quite forward.

Any comments on optimum CG position for least drag from the tailplane and
tabs would be appreciated.

Oh, and by the way, Christine and I are expecting a baby in September!

Regards
Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas