Re: Cabin ventilation

Subject: Re: Cabin ventilation
From: Roger Anderson <Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:31:14
> An intriguing idea. I have often observed air coming in through the gear
> lever slot and the rate of entry is noticeably much greater with any extra
> outlets. It is worse at low speeds, (high AoA) . It would be a good idea
> seal all openings into the central tunnel, at least it will keep the
> smoke  (and hot air from under the cowling)  out.

G-BXTD has two NACA ducts just below the front screen at either side which
feed eyeball vents. When the vents are open a small sheet of paper stays put
when placed over the undercarriage lever slot, but falls off when the vents
are closed. This suggests that when they are open there is just enough
positive pressure inside the cockpit to prevent any engine fumes from
entering via the wheel well, and may possibly smooth the the air flow past
the wheel bay.
I would be reluctant to install a system which reduces the pressure inside
the cockpit because it would tend to draw any fumes from the engine into the
cockpit. - Just a thought.
Roger Anderson.