Cockpit ventilation

Subject: Cockpit ventilation
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:28:53
Forwarded from the bounce bin. Message is from
Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>

Message text written by "Brian Hutchinson"
> I have been considering the need for extra cooling in the cockpit and to
me, the obvious place is a small NACA duct in the fuselage top, just behind
the front door hinges feeding a couple of the airliner type eyeball vents.
Rainwater could be tubed into the door jamb inboard of the seal.  Then Carl
Reynaud suggested that the region above this part of the fuselage might be
a low pressure zone and the air might, in fact, move out of the cockpit
rather than blast in!  Has anyone tried this idea... You could save me a
few more hundred hours if it's a bad plot.
<

It has been already done and doesn't work as the NACA duct is in a low
pressure area. However an outward opening, rear hinged, flap (as used by
Jodels)  might. I have made one for my Europa feeding a pair of eyeball
vents mounted in the inner roof panel. The rebated flange for the flap
encloses the hinge so that water cannot get inside. It may be necessary to
fit a sealing ring around the edge of the rebate to prevent water ingress
when parked in rain if a cover is not used.

Nigel Charles