Cockpit Ventilation

Subject: Cockpit Ventilation
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@intercept.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:29:21

Hi Brian,
Carl's advice is entirely correct. The top of the fuselage is a low
pressure area (think about it....the longitudinal cross section is not
so dissimilar to a wing cross section).
One of the earlier Europa (Mk1) builders did exactly as you are
proposing, NACA vent with eyeballs positioned exactly where you suggest
and found to his dismay that the air flowed efficiently OUT of the vent.

The recommended vent position provides an icy blast to one knee only (my
personal opinion). On my aircraft I have positioned eyeball vents at
face level on the dash, much like a car. You will need to consider how
the ventilation air can exit the cabin in order to provide a proper flow
(a vent at the top of the fuselage near the rear of the cabin maybe?)
There has been much discussion on this matter in the past, suggest you
plough through some of the archived threads.

Nigel