Re: Landing gear frame

Subject: Re: Landing gear frame
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 08:59:21
Paul,

I agree with your conclusion.  It is imperative not to let the landing
gear crowd the starboard side of the tunnel, where the brake master
cylinder is mounted.  The tubes of our mounting frame that are supposed
to be parallel to the firewall are not coplanar, and the compromise
position we used left the wheel displaced slightly to the starboard
side.  Even after putting a shim between the mounting frame and the
swinging arm bearing block, to center the wheel, I still had to make the
modification that the factory published for moving the cylinder outward,
so the tire would clear the cylinder.  I also had to re-route the fuel
lines to the port side of the flap/gear lever, which turns out to be
right where we will have to add another lever when we get the new glider
wings...  Yet another case of 20/20 hindsight!

The other parameter that is affected by the mounting position of the
landing gear frame is the thrust line of the engine.  We had to add a
couple of washers to correct a slight down thrust.  Getting the front
face of the frame perfectly vertical at this point might not guarantee
that the thrust line is horizontal, however, due to whatever droop may
be caused by the weight of the engine.

Dave DeFord, #A135