RE: Guernsey Air Rally 2001

Subject: RE: Guernsey Air Rally 2001
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:29:16

>   You aren't likely to get a big number if you limit the
>"flyouts" to max.8No. !!!!??

Bob - I think this raises the question of what level of
"organisation" is appropriate for Europa Club "fly-out" events.

(BTW, don't shoot the messenger! I am posting the info because my
name is advertised as first point of contact for the Club (chiefly
'cos we hope the majority of people wanting to contact the membership
secretary will be potential new members). I opted to post the info on
the "public" list rather than just send it to the Club Committee, to
give the maximum number of people the most notice of the event. It's
up to the Social Co-ordinators whether they choose to make any formal
provisions for any specific event organised by a third party, or
simply let people go along individually, as to any other fly-in. They
might want to conduct a poll on this forum to get evidence of likely
participation.)

The touring events run up to now have been limited to relatively low
numbers simply to make the logistics manageable. The Club has
organized accommodation and transpsort, as well as some activities,
at the remote end.

But, just thinking aloud, it seems that there could be a market for a
different flavour of tour where an experienced pilot helps others
with the admin and other complications of going foreign, but
participants are left to their own devices about rooms, surface
transport, entertainment, etc. However, I can see some problems that
might arize.

The leader might say "I'm staying at the XYZ motel in Slobbodia but
they only have N rooms and I don't know the names of any other
hotels". Obviously this could lead to some folk getting a poorer deal
than others where facilites are limited.

And how should the leader deal with folk who get lost on the ground
(as opposed to in the air, which we _all _ do)? Should the other 19
aircrafts' takeoff on the next leg be delayed because pilot #20
hasn't turned up and nobody knows where she/he was staying the night?

How many people are looking for this sort of experience? Replies to
Peter Kember or one of the other Social Co-ordinators, NOT me!

regards

Rowland