Re: Rivet hole Tolerances

Subject: Re: Rivet hole Tolerances
From: Wilksch Airmotive <mark@wilksch.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:12:37
Dear Riveters

The great thing about a solid AlCu alloy rivet is that it expands to fill
the hole allowing full shear/bearing strength to be developed with just a
low tolerance drilled hole.  To get the same bearing/shear performance from
a bolt it would have to be a super precise fit!

An 1/8 rivet is designed to go in a hole made by an 1/8 drill (carefully
drilled straight with a drill in good condition).
Much more important is that the head sits down flat and that a well upset
tail shape is achieved with the right amount of upset.

Merry Christmas..........MARK WILKSCH