Re: Rivet hole Tolerances

Subject: Re: Rivet hole Tolerances
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:57:14
Not even our FAA's bible (Acceptable Methods/Techniques Handbook) is
specific, just if loose, drill to next size rivet.  I'd think a few
thousandth's slop is OK.  Three things strike me here about the
problem.  1) The shear force that will be applied at worst case to the
six rivets is in the hundreds of pounds range, a small fraction of
what the six "AD" type (hard) rivets can take at 38,000 PSI and
properly set;  2) CS09 needs to be chamfered to fit the bearing, so if
done neatly, the bearing housing takes some/most of the shear load; 3)
the assembly is attached to a flexible structure (cockpit module),
also diverting some of the load.

So, as non-engineering opine mindya, if worse than a few thousandth's
slop (a 9/64" drill would have given you 15), I'd just assemble it
with Redux, at the CS09 chamfer and in the rivet holes.  Might want a
film of wax on CS09 to ease bearing replacement.

BTW, to deal with just-a-hair too small 1/8" holes throughout the
build, I used a miniature, hobby-store, rat tail file.  Pretty well
worn by now...

Regards,
Fred F., A063