Rivet hole Tolerances

Subject: Rivet hole Tolerances
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:32:19
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"Tony Renshaw" <tonyrenshaw@hotmail.com>

Gidday,
Can someone please tell me the tolerances required for safe building
practice when it comes to drilling holes for rivets? I am sure that any
solid rivet can only sit in a hole of a certain size i.e. too loose would be
unacceptable. I have loose rivet holes in my CS09s that support the pitch
torque tube laterally and elevated above the floor of the fuselage, the
lateral triangular brackets with the snuggle plates bonded onto them. I feel
that should I hand set these bearings to the CS09s that the spreaded rivet
heads will swell and set OK, but that the shear load on them will be taken
up only on the top surface of the flange that mates with the underside of
the rivet end that has been spread. Within the cross section of the union of
the 2 parts the rivet would be correctly loaded through the snug bearing
holes but then be bassically unsupported within the CS09, but under a
compressive bond from the rivet that concentrates the shear load on the
underside of the rivet base. It all sounds a little bit complex, and maybe I
shouldn't worry. Has anyone else worried about looseness in the mating of
various rivetted components? Any assistance would be appreciated
Reg
Tony Renshaw