Re: [off-topic] Re: Kakworm

Subject: Re: [off-topic] Re: Kakworm
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:49:55
With regard to the Kak worm virus, I have already suffered an attack from
this though I understand this was by way of my browser IE5 rather than
Outlook express.

I cannot remember the fix for this but apparently one countermeasure is to
set IE5 so that scripts can not automatically run. There is also an upgrade
---From Microsoft which prevents this.

The moral of the story is to regularly run anti virus checks on your system
(I do this to all my files, not just the exe ones).

We use Mac Afee which seems to be as good as any and only costs about $30.
The upgrades are free and it is very important that you update your virus
database on a weekly basis. If any dangerous viruses are found worldwide Mac
Afee emails a warniing to all its subscribers.