RE: [off-topic] Re: Kakworm

Subject: RE: [off-topic] Re: Kakworm
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:04:32

>According to last week's New Scientist there are now viruses that
>infect your PC as soon as a text message is opened.

It is an unfortunate fact that Outlook Express has a couple of holes that
can cause attachments
to activate as soon as the email is opened. Opening a message that does not
have attachments
CANNOT cause viruses to be introduced onto your system.

MS Outlook has a similar problem but Microsoft does as a fix for this. There
is NO fix for Outlook Express.

So...

If you only open mail messages without attachments you don't have a problem.
If you open mail messages with attachments and are also using Outlook
Express you
should ensure that you have a virus scanner installed AND update the scanner
weekly.
Never, never, never open an attachment that is a .EXE or .VBS even if it is
from
someone you trust - they may not know that they sent it to you.

If I got $100 for every time I got called out to fix problems caused by
people disobeying
these basic rules I'd .... oh, I do.

And with that, may I wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Great New
Year

Happy Building

Tony