Re: Foam.....

Subject: Re: Foam.....
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:14:24
>         I am in the process of producing a few accessory "walls" and support
>for the under-baggeage area. I have been singularly unsuccessful in
>acquiring the right foam for the core of these. The Rutan and Bingelis books
>go into blue and white colours, but don't articulate the chemical bases
>sufficiently.

HI Ferg,
The right material is structural PVC foam. It's used to make railway
carriages, racing yachts and the like, also Long EZ fuselages. ACSpruce
sell it as Divinycel, 6Lb per cu ft would be about right. As you say they
only go down to 1/4" thick which is a bit thick but would do. I used 3mm
ply with 1 ply BID each side.
You could also use Clark urethane foam of similar density but it might be
harder to find. Europa might send you a piece of the 3mm PVC, rolled up
into a tube for a small consideration. {?:->

Graham