Re: Lights

Subject: Re: Lights
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 06:49:57
The Aeroflash Wingtip combo units, with the 152-0007 power supply, produce
only a 200 candela flash.  You would need a unit with a bigger tube and a 20
joule power supply to meet current FAA specs.  The FAA apparently lets them
through on Experimentals, but it is probably up to the discretion of the
examiner. Aeroflash does have a 20A unit, but it's not FAA certified.

There is an alternate, fin mounted flash unit with PFA approval that I
believe meets the 400 candela minimum; check your Europa Club mods list.
The flasher itself is nicely streamlined.

So...you're stuck with a Whelen 7A hog if you want to do it right.  It sure
seems that you need to put a 30A alternator on if you want to do anything
more than basic day VFR to FAA certificated AC specs.

Shaun
A207