Re: Lights

Subject: Re: Lights
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:11:27
Assuming xenon is xenon, like in the flash tube, the light output
should be proportional to the joules.  Contacting Aeroflash would
settle the bet, but what odds ya' give me?

Assuming they're under 400, would FAA catch it?  Speaking of only the
Cleveland FSDO, I've watched these guys inspect a perfectly airworthy
plane (pursuant to issuing a banner-towing waiver) and produce a
2-page, singles-spaced list of squawks replete with Reg. cites from
memory.  They're co-located with an Engineering/Manufacturing office,
though, so your actual mileage may vary....

Another consideration is the type/frequency/location of night flight
anticipated.  The visual difference between a 100 candle setup and the
4-flash Whelen Comets is dramatic.

I chose the Whelen tail strobe.  Trading some drag for the lower
amps/cost.

Regards,
Fred F.