Re: Coolant Mix

Subject: Re: Coolant Mix
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 00:41:55
>Does anyone know the correct mix ratio for engine coolant in the Rotax
>912. My owners manual says 100% ethylene glycol but I have been told that
>a 50% mix is better for cooling.
>
>Could someone put me straight on which is best.
>
>Also any views on engine oils (organic/ synthetic). Funny but Tesco only
>sells oil in the Organic range ! I was intending to use a 50/50 synthetic
>mix but cant give a reason why.
>
>Carl Pattinson.

Hi Carl,
I suggest you go for 75% glycol (quality auto stuff with corrosion
inhibitor). 50% glycol is the lowest you should go. There may be a tendency
to boil on the internal hot spots if you go any lower and corrosion will
also be more likely. You will find the engine will tend to run a bit hot
initially but will cool down as it becomes broken in.

Oil recommended is a semi synthetic with gearbox additive, these exist for
motor bike use, including racing.

Graham