Re: battery trade-offs

Subject: Re: battery trade-offs
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:09:51
>Also take a look at:
>
>http://www.avionicswest.com/batterylife.html#Life
>

>                                --Duane

  Thanks for the heads up on this one. I've captured it
  and will include it in a bibliography of information
  I'm gatering on people's practical experience with batteries.
  It's interesting to note that the most expensive batteries
  (nicad and/or nimh) had the lowest operating life even when
  they claimed 1600 maH of capacity, some jelly-bean brands
  of alkalines performed longer.

  The author seems enamored of the 1-cent per battery
  cycle for battery cost . . . which is indeed a valid
  consideration. For me personally, the long battery life
  (radio never needs batteries in flight) and convenience
  of throwaway is more important . . . PROVIDED that I don't
  pay $5.00/set for batteries.

  With my Dollar Generals, it costs me $1 to battery up
  the Magellan 2000 and $0.50 for the 300. That's $1.50
  per flight for 100% servicability of both radios. When
  I burn $85 worth of fuel per flight and pay about $240
  in rental, the $1.50 is a pretty tiny part of the total
  cost. My personal quest is for maximized flight system
  reliability while minimizing cost and inconvenience of dealing
  with chargers, etc. away from home base.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com