Re: nmh batteries

Subject: Re: nmh batteries
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 13:13:18
At 05:18 AM 9/10/00 GMT, you wrote:
>I saw two brands of nmh AA cells in Wally world. Energizer and Ray-o-vac I
>think.  Just wondering if they were any better for GPS & hand held radios
>than ni-cad.  Same voltage as ni-cad 1.2.   Thanks for your many informative
>posts to the Kolb list.   Bill in Lousyana

  My pleasure sir . . .

  My personal favorites for low voltage (4 cells or less) radios are
  alkalines . . . they contain much more total energy than most
  ni-cads . . . and about the same as run-of-the-mill NmH cells.
  The best part is that they start out at 1.5 volts versus 1.25 for
  the "nickels" . . .

  Go to Dollar General stores and buy their house brand AA nicads.
  I've tested these batteries repeatedly and they're withing a few
  percent of best bunnybatteries you can buy. Best yet, unburdened
  by VERY expensive television and print advertising, is they cost
  25 cents per cell . . . A VERY good value.

  The only thing that beats this for dollars/joule of energy
  stored are the Ray-o-Vac Renew series rechargable alkalines.
  The down side of these are you have to have a charger and a place
  to plug it in.  I buy the Dollar General batteries about 10 packages
  at a time and keep plenty of spares in my flight bag.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com