Re: battery trade-offs

Subject: Re: battery trade-offs
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:53:28
>Bob,
>
>Since you're doing a bibliography, I'll throw in my experience. I've messed
>with nicads in the past and don't think much of them as replacements for
>Alkaline AA cells. They just don't last long enough. But my Garmin handheld
>GPS 90 will go through a set of AA Duracells on the way to OSH and another
>on the way back. So at OSH I decided to try some NmH. Got eight of these
>little green generic deals for $2.50 ea from Batteries America booth. So far
>I like them -- they seem to last as long as the Duracells but are
>rechargable. Being environmentally conscious I try to avoid disposable
>anyhing, including batteries.
>
>As for the quality and longevity, time will tell.

   The Nimh are generally much higher capacity than their
   Nicad cousins and we should expect them to outperform
   the Nicads.  I use Nimh in my amateur radio hand-helds
   and have also noticed improved longevity . . . at least
   with respect to usage.  Nicad and Nimh have much higher
   self-discharge rates than alkalines and therefore have
   very poor shelf life by comparison . . . but for gizmos
   that are used regularly, the Nimh is an excellent
   alternative.  I think service life of the Nimh should
   be on a par with Nicad.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com