AW: Plastic Brake Lines

Subject: AW: Plastic Brake Lines
From: 11323@auswaertigesamt.de
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:36:30

After the incident with the brake line that jumped off during
operation I had some local hydraulic experts at my airport
look at the installation and the common finding is that the
line as supplied by Europa is sufficient for the job.

My problem was that the fitting didn't hold the tube in the
90 deg angle but allowed the tube to "jump off" under pressure.

I don't feel this would be too much of a danger as you still
have one more brake and - if you're fast - the effect of the
rudder or - if you're slow - the tendency of the nosewheel to
track.

It happened to me again and I had no problem stopping.

And one "expert" found that I was over-turning the nut that
compresses the little sleeve onto the tube. A little more than
fingertight would be enough. I have since done a number of
landings, high speed taxis and holding the aircraft still
with full throttle - without reoccurance.

Sincerely,

<Thomas>