Re: Aileron trim servo location

Subject: Re: Aileron trim servo location
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 20:08:35
Dave Conrad wrote (in part):

>     The aileron trim tab need not be far out on the aileron.  It does
> not need leverage because it does not move the wing up or down.

It may not even be good aerodynamically out
there.  One text I have (Hoerner's book, Fluid
Dynamic Drag), analyzes various wingtip shapes,
and on the rounded version Europa suggests, he
diagrams the wingtip vortex as blanking a bit of
the trailing edge of the wing, and on the Europa
that may include some of the outboard end of the
aileron. How much effect for real, vs. theory, who
knows, but worth noting.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063