Re: Aileron trim servo location

Subject: Re: Aileron trim servo location
From: carl@photos.prestel.co.uk
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 23:32:26
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the info. I am surprised Europa themselves never mentioned the
need for an aileron trim . It is always that much easier to build these
things in at the beginng rather than adding them earlier on. I have never
heard it mentioned until now (If I am wrong I am sure Andy from Europa will
correct me !) .

Having said that we are still buliding and have a Navaid wing leveller
waiting to be installed. In theory this should do the same job or does
someone know better.

Incidentally I used to fly gliders and owned a K6E. This had an all flying
tail plane like the Europa but this was trimmed (for pitch) using a large
spring attached to a lever on the control column (Could be very interesting
on takeoff due to PIO's - Pilot Induced Oscillations !!!). Would it be
possible to effect aileron trim using the same principle (ie- the spring
taking the sideways load that would otherwise be taken by the pilots arm ).
This would at least save an unsightly tab attached to the trailing edge. The
spring could be connected to fork at the bottom of one of the the control
columns using a lever to increase or decrease the sideways tension. This is
the same point where we intend to connect our Navaid servo.

Its just a thought - dont know how practical though.

Regards,

Carl