RE: Fuel system installation on the XS

Subject: RE: Fuel system installation on the XS
From: Dennis Lowe <dennisl@inovatec.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:07:29

Has anyone re-sited the selector so that is accessible
---From both seats? Any opinions on whether this is worth
doing would be welcome.

I am mounting the Andair control on the top of the tunnel in a similar
position to that used on the Cirrus. If there is an engine failure on take
off I know I would be fumbling around if it were placed elsewhere.

Unfortunately this then requires 2 fuel pumps as per 914 installation, and 2
filters (or gascolators in my case). I have had the mod provisionally
approved by the P.F.A but have yet to put in for formal approval. There are
still some details to tidy up.

My brother and I have both used the Lynhurst fuel gauge and a separate
aluminium fuel stack with it's own site tube for pre-flight checking. We
were not keen on possibly effecting the integrity of the fuel tank by making
more holes in it.

The fuel components are mounted on a bulkhead sub-assembly that can be
removed for servicing. One fuel pump electric supply is fed from the master
bus and the other from the secondary (emergency) bus. The sub assembly is
fitted in the tunnel (tri-gear) through a hinged access panel in the floor.
(This area is normally closed in the tri-gear, but open in the mono).

best regards
Dennis #333 G-NHRJ