New on line. Tailwheel mod. Flying Europas

Subject: New on line. Tailwheel mod. Flying Europas
From: davidlockett <davidlockett@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 07:06:27
I have just joined the Europa net. I built and co-own Classic No 46 G
DLCB and now have 320 hours on type, mainly from my strip in Northern
Scotland. Also flown 8 other Europas and done a couple of first flights
and initial testing. I have taken the necessary degree in gynacology and
am nearly finished the tail wheel mod ( a la Graham S) and would like
to hear from anyone who has got anything to say about setting up the
spring tensions. Graham is convinced that minimum tension gives best
results.

You may well ask why I am changing the tailwheel after 320 hours and to
be honest I will only be convinced when I have flown it again. I am also
fitting the Arplast PV50 VP prop. The original wheel was fine off grass
and gave wonderful steering control especially power-off ( i.e. on
roll-out) but could be a hand- full on take-off and the view over the
nose was poor due to the deck angle. I have to say that I find the new
design destinctly " swervy" on landing and feel that there is a bit of
variability from aircraft to aircraft. I have only flown 3 Europas with
the new design Could this be due to spring tension variations?

I strongly believe that Europas must be made as ground friendly as the
design allows because at the moment there are too many incidents of
control loss on the ground. In my limited experience on other types (12
tailwheel & 10 trike) I have never flown anything which concentrated the
mind so much until it was either flying or stopped. But then you are
supposed to concentrate, are you not?

I love flying the Europa and please come and visit Scotland. Fantastic
flying country and weather is always perfect!

Best regards,

David Lockett