Build Times

Subject: Build Times
From: The Higgins Family <ghiggins@norex.com.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 13:21:56

I agree. I am a first time builder, roughly half finished my classic 914
with all mods. I never was quite certain when to start and stop the  clock. I
estimated that with 2 days per week for building I would take about 5  years
to complete it. This was based on the fact that it took that long to  build
my house, and there is every bit as much work in this job. Very  scientific!!
    I started 3 years ago, and at 2000 hrs stopped using the clock, ( I
counted ALL time on the project, including preparation both mental and
physical), and reverted to using a calender. I went down several "blind
alleys", mostly my own doing, but reckon I could reduce this time by  30-40%
second time round. My original estimate was probably pretty close.
     Let me be clear I am not disappointed. Doing the painting  myself,(as a
non-painter) has taken longer than I anticipated, but overall the  project is
progressing to plan, and I am optimistic of a good result. Hope this  helps
set realistic expectations for your project.
                  Graham Higgins, from "Down Under" in Oz.