Re: Build Times

Subject: Re: Build Times
From: David G. Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:13:23
> I am interested in knowing some of the total building times (actual or
> closely estimated) of completed, or soon to be, new model XS kits.
> Europa says 500 to 1000 hrs depending on..........       What are some
> of you really getting??

We built the Europa Classic as first time builders, which took 1200
hours (all hours closely logged). It definitely helps, as Jerry says, to
read the manual thoroughly, so that you are completely familiar with the
step that you are working on.
I have looked at the hours we spent on the parts that are pre finished
in the XS and added in some of the estimated times on parts that we
wouldn't have had to complete (like sticking on the complete top
trailing edge skin) and I estimate that we could have saved about 400 of
our hours in building the XS.
Now as experienced slightly experienced builders, we could do it even
quicker than that.
I would like to say that we did not sacrifice accuracy (as is evidenced
in our flying surfaces and the final handling of the aircraft) or any
other attention to detail.
What definitely makes the biggest advantage is being able to spend long
periods of time on building, for you can get completely into the run of
it, rather than having to keep remembering where you left off last.

Dave Watts G-BXDY