Re: Trailer ??

Subject: Re: Trailer ??
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:48:14

>  I substituted 3/8 inch bolts from
>the local hardware store. Surprisingly, these are almost exactly the same
>size and allow use of the nylocs supplied with the M10 bolts.

The nyloc inserts will not have as good a grip with that
substitution, although the mismatch of pitch may tend to compensate
slightly for it.

M10 screw threads are 9.97mm crest diameter (=0.393"), and the pitch
is        1.50mm (16.9 TPI).

I guess what you've bought are 3/8 UNC which have a crest dia of
0.374" (9.50mm) and a pitch of 16 TPI (1.59mm).

Personally I'd prefer to use a nut and a bolt which are cut to the
same thread standards for all but the least critical or temporary
work, but the above specifications may help you make your own
decision.

Can't help with the strength question, I'm afraid, but my feeling is
that the strength is unlikely to be as critical as in an aircraft
application. I might be inclined to switch to stainless if I had to
buy new bolts for a trailer anyway (unless I lived in California
where it never rains ...).

regards

Rowland

           ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...