Trailer ??

Subject: Trailer ??
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:18:34
Assembly of my trailer, the zinc plated model by E.J. Nelson, is nearly
complete. Several of the metric bolts supplied were too short for their
intended use. In order to complete assembly I substituted 3/8 inch bolts from
the local hardware store. Surprisingly, these are almost exactly the same
size and allow use of the nylocs supplied with the M10 bolts.

I am unfamiliar with the markings on the metric bolts supplied so don't know
whether they are normal strength or high strength. The markings contain
letters (T, or TVS, or MS) plus all bolts have the number 8.8  below the
letters.  Could someone enlighten me on this so I can decide whether the
substitute bolts are appropriate or must be replaced with high strength
bolts?  Would stainless bolts be acceptable?

The tongue weight of the unloaded trailer is a surprisingly high 87 pounds.
Is this normal or is it due to the change to mostly steel construction
without adjusting the design for the different material weight.  (Only the
center rail is aluminum).  Will the tongue weight increase further when the
Europa is loaded?

What is the normal inflation pressure for the trailer tires?

John     A044                      Newtown, CT