Re: Trailer ??

Subject: Re: Trailer ??
From: Chuck Popenoe <cpops@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 22:40:43
Hi John-

Metric 8.8's are the almost exact equivalent of US Grade 5's (medium high
strength and with 3 radial head markings).  Hardware store bolts are usually
Grade 2's, with no marking and low carbon and strength.  US Grade 8 bolts have
6
radial head markings and are alloy steel, meaning that they have the highest
strength of commercial bolts.  Either Grade 5's or Grade 8's would be plenty
adequate for the trailer, but I wouldn't use Grade 2.  Incidentally, AN  bolts
are also nearly equivalent to Grade 5's in their strength and ductility.

The trailer is probably better balanced with the aircraft on it.  My Avid Flyer
trailer has a very heavy tongue weight when empty, but when loaded, is nearly
neutral (15 pounds?).

Pops
A036