Re: Weight and balance

Subject: Re: Weight and balance
From: David G. Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:44:02
David Hillam wrote:
> One thing I have pondered on and would welcome opinions is
> this.  If the battery is placed in the back, you will need
> longer, thicker, battery cables with all the attendant
> disadvantages. What is the extra weight of such cables?
> Would it not be better, instead, to put ballast (similar
> weight to the extra cable?) as far back in the tail as
> possible, where the longer lever arm would have a greater
> effect on the C of G?

I actually did it for the first flights. I had to put 7 lbs of weight in
the tail end to make it balance correctly.
When I moved the battery the following week, I worked out that an extra
2 lbs of weight went in compared with the standard setup, most of this
being the longer cables.

Dave Watts G-BXDY