Re: electronic scales [was: NEW BUILDER -

Subject: Re: electronic scales [was: NEW BUILDER -
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:44:42
          SCOTLAND]

Graham Singleton wrote:

> most of us mix with a round-tipped spatula on a flat-bottomed container
> (when the
> >spatula can't get into the 90 degree corner) for one to two minutes at most,
> >I suspect a lot of your perceived accuracy of mix goes right out of the
> >window.   It would be interesting to do a scientific analysis of the mix
> >from different parts of the pot, for a number of homebuilders.   I suspect
> >the results might be a little different from the manufacturers theoretical
> >ratio.   IMHO   : -)
>
> Its always worth checking the residue in the bottom of the pot the morning
> after. Any swirl marks, or worse, sticky bits means poor mixing. A little
> experience will soon teach you good mixing habits.
>
> Graham
Cheers:
        Graham has it dead right - check what's left. Of ot ain't hardened
epoxy, it's inaccurate. HOW INACCURATE depends on how much you allow to
be unmixxed. I cut off the mixing sticks with a bandsaw and rounded the
corners in a block so that when a new stick was required, it was
immediately available, and REDUCED THE ERROR.
        Throwing your hands up and saying "it's all pretty inaccurate anyway"
is no way to increase accuracy and certainly won't impress any
inspector. If one is sloppy in mixing epoxy, maybe there are other
facets to check. Half the error is commendable, twice the error calls
for counselling.
Happ7y Landings
Ferg A064