Re: Main battery cable size

Subject: Re: Main battery cable size
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:45:32

>What size wire are people using for the main battery cable. I gotta
>get mine. Richard says his (#2) cable sometimes doesn't seem to
>"carry the load."

    For airplanes where the battery is on or just behind
    the firewall, 4AWG is fine for all the "fat" wires.
    If the battery has to be further away, like on the
    other end of the airplane from the engine, #2 is better.
    I have dozens of Ez builders who have run 2 strands
    of #2 full length of the airplane to crank an O-320.

    4AWG is about .00025 ohms per foot. A 24 foot round
    trip in an Ez is .006 ohms. A 200 amp cranking current
    will drop 1.2 volts or about 12 to 15% of your total
    cranking energy.  2AWG drops to .004 ohms total
    for a voltage drop of 0.8 volts in the wire. Of
    course each terminal joint and set of contactor
    contacts will ADD to this resistance but our experience
    has shown good performance for even the long circuits
    just cited when 2AWG is used.

    If someone is having difficulties with a 2AWG
    wired starter, I strongly suspect a combination
    of tired battery, high resistance joints or high
    resistance contactors are the major contributors
    to the problem.  Some measurements with a
    voltmeter while loading the system with an
    automotive load-type battery tester will quickly
    isolate the causes.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)