Re: Wing root fairings

Subject: Re: Wing root fairings
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:27:35
In a message dated 9/5/99, Duncan McFadyean.writes:

> This is not parallel to the plane of the wing surface which you would want to
be
> socketing into the fairings attached to the fuselage (ie if built the way you
> propose).

Thanx -- I hadn't thought of that.  Since the bottom of the spar is tapere
d, the actual effect could be even worse, as the spar rides a bit low on my
Tufnol
guide block until the wing is pushed fully home.  That can be easily corrected.*

If the wing dihedral is say 4 degrees, then one inch of the wing root will b
e about 1/16=94 from being level.  It looks like I will have almost that much
in filler there (or can make it so) due to the layers of reinforcing glass
there.
It might then work to taper the first one inch of filler back to edg
e of the wing root flange.  The first inch of the wing root (bottom side) should
then be about level.

I'm tempted still to experiment with a fuselage-attached wing root fairing
.  It's
removable if doesn't work!

* For those who wish to install a Tufnol guide block, I suggest making the first
two
inches (at the root) of the bottom of the wing spar parallel with a line drawn
between the two spar bushes, using flox (and ramping up to it for abou
t an inch).  That should guarantee (if the two wing pins are level too) the
easiest
possible wing rigging.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063