Re: Wing root fairings

Subject: Re: Wing root fairings
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:48:40
>Hi, all --
>
>I am about to make the wing root fairings, and I'm wondering if the
following
>is maybe a goofy idea.  What if release tape were applied to the wing, and
>the fairing glassed onto the fuselage side?  The result would be about 3/4"
>of "lip," in the shape of the wing section, which would overlap the wing
root
>(back as far as the flap).

It has been thought of before but I don't know of anyone trying it. My own
solution was to fit the fillets to the wing pressing gently against the
side of the fuselage, then fill the fuselage to make a shallow socket.
Result a nice flush fitting wing root. The outline provides a guide and the
lip stops the fillet rubbing the fuselage as the wing flexes.
I don't use any foam in the fillets so they can flex slightly.
It is essential to fit the Tufnol spar guide for easy rigging, especially
with the Mono. Stops the wing sliding backwards and also aligns the pins.
Graham