Re: Vents

Subject: Re: Vents
From: Paul and Liz Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:33:32
In article <199909172033_MC2-8550-D4D8@compuserve.com>,
JohnBean@compuserve.com (J D Bean) wrote:

> I have fitted a handscrew retractable scoop feeding a plenum in the roof
> space and then out of punka louvres.

John

I like that idea, can I copy it before you slap a patent on it?

It seems to me that one of the main obstacles to good ventilation is the large
number of possible routes for the air to go inside the fuselage. Sealing up as
many holes as possible would allow any system to work better and more
predictably. Sealing the wing root fairings, inspection covers, and the various
holes in the wheel well would not only help here but improve the aerodynamics
as well.

My guess is that an extraction scoop might be unnecessary as long as you have
a hole near the back to allow the air to escape. The slots for the stab trim
mechanism should be sufficient though it does mean cutting a hole somwhere
on the baggage bay bulkhead as you suggest.  I was going to cut a hole there
anyway to allow skis or the odd golf club to be carried (sadly I can only play
with
odd numbered clubs).

>I have a query though. I intend to fit the side NACA vents to help cool my
>lower parts & feet and wondered if anyone had come up with a 'most
>suitable' position for their location or is it a case of what looks best
>and a bit of guesswork?

Before I read your idea above I was planning to put a scoop on the lower half of
the cowling (somewhere that wont take in any exhaust) and use that for
ventilation. Imho a scoop is preferable to a naca vent because when not in use
and the scoop closed there is no drag penalty. It also ensures that air will be
taken in even if it is not in the best place i.e in an area of positive
pressure.

Hope this helps.

Paul Atkinson