Outrigger downlock..

Subject: Outrigger downlock..
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:05:44
Cheers:
        Like most, I file my vital email messages and then can't find them -
HOWEVER - I did act on one concerning the title subject:
        Fitting Downlock Catch item "OR4".
        Refer to drawing in vicinity of page 9-24 of issue 4 manual Fig31

I copied the advice - about filing the lower flap closeout flange to
accomodate R4's insistence into the lower wing when the ourigger is
lowered - onto the applicable page. Now that I come to instal the OR
(outrigger), I see the problem! This catch appears to be too long (at
the top) and it fouls against the lower wing skin, such that the OR will
not fully extend. The email advice was to fashion a slot in the flange
to accomodate OR4's top edge. Unfortunately, my closefitting flap is
immediately behind the flange and appears ready to foul OR4 within 1/8in
of travel. I appreciate the advice to rectify, but why cannot we just
file away the TOP of OR4 so that it doesn't foul the skin? I don't see
what the upper shape of OR4 serves that it could not be revised thus?
        I know this should and will be queried with Europa folk, but suggest it
merits solving officially. Any comments?
Happy landings
Ferg (#A064)