Re: Tailwheel Mod

Subject: Re: Tailwheel Mod
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:27:09
Nigel,

I used a fly cutter for the access hole and used the part that came out for
the cover too, but:

Grind down the cutting tool so that it is less than 1mm wide for 6 mm of
its cutting depth.

Do NOT use the tool in a drill or brace but rotate it on the work by
pulling round the cutter end of the bar directly to cut through the
composite.  This way you avoid deforming the guide hole in the middle
because there's no side load on it (as there is when rotated by drill or
brace).

Try to cut evenly all the way round (difficult on mine 'cos the composite
was all sorts of thicknesses in this area).  If you don't you run the risk
of the middle coming loose before you've finished using it as a guide.

Takes 15 minutes.

(I did my lay-ups with the top off - so can't help there)

Dave Simpson