RE: Tailwheel Mod

Subject: RE: Tailwheel Mod
From: Kesterton Donald <KestertonD@logica.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:43:51

Nigel Charles wrote
        ----------

        I received a useful tip (from Donald Kesterton) when it comes to
removing
        the original tailwheel casting. Using a hot air gun might work
eventually
        but it heats up more than just the casting and can damage the
bulkhead or
        aircraft skin. Heat up a 1 inch steel bar (or heavy tube) away from
the
        aircraft using a propane torch whilst gently warming up the casting
with a
        hot air gun at the same time. Insert the bar into the casting from
below.
        Hold it in position for about 5 to 10 minutes and then use it as a
lever to
        prise the casting off the bulkhead as the Redux softens. As it is
steel the
        lower end of the bar will not get too hot if just the top part is
heated.

        I suggest you try the technique without using a hot air gun on the
casting.  If your casting is anything like ours the heat from the bar feeds
directly into the casting and in about 5 minutes the redux is soft enough to
extract the four bolts through the bulkhead.   You can then carefully lever
off the casting.  The nice thing about the technique is heat is just
directed where it is needed - into the casting and the surrounding layups
stay cool.  The hot air gun is too uncontolled

        Donald Kesterton

        Builder 216  G-PATS