Re: Tailplane Mass Balance Cables

Subject: Re: Tailplane Mass Balance Cables
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:27:56
Geraint,

1. I'm with others on this - use a bolt.

2.  Forget the fiddling and the turnbuckles - here's what to do:

        Attach the rear end of each wire in position on the plastic bits as
instructed.

        Remove the lower retaining bolt on TP18 and swing the latter up through
30
degrees or so.

        Attach the wires forward ends to TP18 sliding on the swages in their
proper positions.

        Using temporary "bulldog clamps" (small U bolts) fitted behind the
swages
and slightly tightened, pull the wires such that they  have nominal and
roughly equal tensions - no need for great tensions yet.

        Exploiting the different centres of rotation of the wires and TP18, you
can now lower the arm to apply the tension to the wires.

        If the arm moves to one side when lowered into position, lift it up
again,
adjust the proper wire and lower again.

        This way you can have all the tension you need (mine's tuned to C sharp
-
but if you're a Bach fan you can use D) and precisely equal tensions so
TP18 sits in the middle.

        Careful not to overdo the tension though; I think it may be possible to
bend the tailplane torque tube with this method if         you're a bit over
zealous.

Dave Simpson