Tailplane Mass Balance Cables

Subject: Tailplane Mass Balance Cables
From: GERAINT L OWENS <lloyd.owens@lineone.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:53:35
Two simple queries:
1   What technique is used to insert the 6mm roll pin in the TP18 to stop
the weights from falling off.   Mine won't go in - do I need a special tool,
or what?   I presume the part called SPIROL is the same as the 6mm roll pin,
although there is nothing in the manual to connect the two.

2   Secondly, with regard to the wires.   One I have a nice tension in.
The other I have now done three times (!) and have still not matched the
tension in the first.   In fact, on this wire I have edged the cable (where
it is wound round the white plastic collar) about 1/4" further outboard from
the pins, so that the tension in this wire matches the first.   It seems to
hold in place here; but is this acceptable.   Are the wires simply a
safeguard in case the TP18 comes loose, or is it crucial that both wires are
nicely and equally tensioned?   This is easier said than done; one can't
help but wonder if there wasn't a better and easier way of stabilising the
TP18.
Lloyd Owens (Bu. No. 097)