Re: TP6's and transferred strain.

Subject: Re: TP6's and transferred strain.
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:38:50
Dear All

Graham's findings and analysis have the ring of truth about them.  If the
fits were good when new, then the problem would arise from inadequate
bearing strength on the walls of the holes into which the pins fit - it's a
common design problem.  The situation could be improved by fitting multiple
pins or bolts or (better) steel pop rivets, but this would probably demand
re-certification of the design in that area.

Loctite make a couple of wicking adhesives which are  thin enough to find
their way into the small gaps between the tail plane drive plates' sleeves
and the drive tube -  601 and 603 (the latter being oil resistant)  This of
course would mean we'd say goodbye to ever parting the two on the aircraft,
since significant heat would be required to melt the adhesive,  but was
this ever possible anyway?  There is also the disadvantage that there is
poor control over the extent of the wicking along the tubes and we don't
know how dirty it is in there.  You wouldn't need much to do the trick
though.  To resist JAR VLA Pilot Forces, I calculate only a TOTAL of 20 mm
length; and this takes into account dynamic loading and a safety factor of
2.  I reckon it's feasible to run 5 mm in to each of the four access
points.

Maybe just bore out the tubes' pip pin holes to 3/8".  What the hell.

Dave Simpson