Re: Phenolic Pads

Subject: Re: Phenolic Pads
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:12:57
Tim,

Others have told you what phenolic is, but when you come to fit the pads to
the aileron bellcranks, we found the following method worked well in
achieving the required fit with minimum backlash:

After performing the rough alignment with the wings on and setting the
required gap (+ a few millimetres) with the phenolic pad loosely in place,
cover each half of the Al. angle bellcranks with Cling Wrap.  Coat the
mating surfaces of the bellcrank and pad with a thick coat of flox and
refit the wings.  The pads are then automatically aligned.   Take care not
to waggle the wings or the controls until the glue cures.  Trim off the
excess when it's half hard or so.

I've tried to perform as many tasks on the fuselage bottom as possible
before fitting the top, but you have to be careful.  Though I've yet to put
on the top, there are stories, (including one from Europa) that if you
attempt to align the wings (and controls)  on the fuselage bottom alone,
before fitting the top, then they may not fit properly afterwards.  It is
essential therefore to stabilise the bottom half very thoroughly with cross
braces bonded in temporarily while the wing alignment is being done.  Also
support the bottom half representatively.  Perhaps you've got the top on
already in which case you've no worries.
Good luck.

Dave Simpson