RE: Europa Insurance

Subject: RE: Europa Insurance
From: andrew.robinson@barco.com
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:46:43
        Garry,

> Since I am about 1 week away from first flight on my tri-gear, I
> thought
> I'd call my friendly insurance company (AVEMCO) here in the US.  I
> have
> been carrying "builders" insurance with them for the past 2 years and
> it's
> been costing me about $400 per year.
>
> Imagine my surprise when they quoted me a price of $3,700 per year to
> insure the plane, now that it will be flying.  This seems extremely
> expensive to me.  What are other Europa owners paying for insurance?
> Can
> anyone direct me to a U.S. based insurance company who might have more
> affordable rates?  HELP!  I need insurance quickly......before my
> first
> flight!

        In my conversations with the insurance company, I came up with
        a couple of pertinent data points:

        1. My insurance rates would go down after I had 100 hours *in
type*
        (so all my accumulated time in other aircraft didn't count for
much)

        2. The biggest driver in the yearly cost of insurance is the
hull
        damage/replacement value. For myself, I would be stuck with
insuring
        the aircraft for full engine/hull replacement value (about
$40,000).
        This would be required by the loan company until such time as I
had repaid
        the loan.

        If the loan requirement is not a driver, then there is the
possibility of
        of insuring the aircraft for less than total replacement value.
Of course,
        this assumes that you won't be able to sufficiently damage the
aircraft
        to make it a total loss without also killing yourself.  Morbid,
but a valid
        consideration. I was thinking that insuring it for $20,000 would
allow for
        a full replacement of prop and engine and some left over for
repairing the
        airframe.

        My $0.02. I'd love to hear what others think or have done for
insurance.

        Andrew