Re: Current / circuit breakers

Subject: Re: Current / circuit breakers
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 11:10:55
>>Some circuit breakers have AC or DC ratings....?
>>How does this effect circuit breakers?
>>
>>My basics has gone out of the window.
>>Got into an arguement without being perpared.
>>
>>C/B's I've seen have dual ratings:
>>e.g.
>>
>>10A
>>12-24VDC
>>110-250VAC
>>???????

   Note that the 14 VDC rating and the 100 VAC are the same . . .
   10 amps. This is generally true of all switching devices (See
   my article on switch ratings downloadable from our website).
   This rating has more to do with contact material and contact
   opening mechanisms than with the current carrying capacity
   of a closed switch.

>>The guy who started the arguement states that an A/C C/B will trip
>>later.?

   Not true. Amps DC is the same heating value as RMS Amps AC.
   The C/B is simply an educated switch. In addition to a
   calibrated trip point, it has to be rated for contact life
   assmuming X-number of trips in the laboratory.

   Hope this helps.

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                     ////