Fuel, Static, et. all

Subject: Fuel, Static, et. all
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:00:46
Dear I.P. (Interested Parties),

I recommend everyone get a good look at the Dec. '98 issue of "Sport
Aviation".  There's an excellent article on fuel handling safety with
special emphasis on the various hazards and solutions to same when
fueling composite a/c.  It seems something as simple as a wet cotton rag
may be a great aid in removing local static charges before fueling!

It did raise a question in my feverish brain, however, when discussing
the grounding of a composite a/c's fuel inlet:  i.e. would it be
practical to include a length of carbon fiber cloth that connects the
Europa's fuel filler neck to a fixed portion of the landing gear
assembly, thereby providing a proper connect for a fuel truck's
grounding cable?  If so, this would seem (IMHO) to be an elegant method
of providing some level of safety in refueling operations.  Since my
ideas are rarely elegant, I immediately became suspicious of this and
look to you all for proper guidance.

Steve "Greentree's approved our loan application" Genotte
Dallas, Texas