Re: Epoxy Quantity in L.Edges

Subject: Re: Epoxy Quantity in L.Edges
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:03:18

>> how much epoxy you used on "each" leading edge?

I seem to recall we used around 10 pots full - a lot went on the floor!

>>I'd also appreciate any application
>>techniques recommended, or pitfalls highlighted, such as size of mixes,
>>unusual methods of mixing ( if any), initail foam wetout using 3-4"
>>paintbrushes etc.

Fill all the dents and low areas with micro then slurry the foam and
_liberally_ paint on the resin. The biax cloth really benefits from being
wetted out from the underside. Roll the cloth up on a piece of dowelling and
then feed it over the piece. Lay the cloth over the piece then roller the
cloth down. Once the cloth is rollered flat paint more resin on. Roller it
again then squeegee, squeegee, sqeegee. Check for bubbles on the leading edge
after an hour or so.

A friend and I have now built the Europa wings and a pair of 43' windrose
glider wings using this technique and the results of both sets look great.

Good luck.

Tony
Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 520 4631