Re: Epoxy Quantity in L.Edges

Subject: Re: Epoxy Quantity in L.Edges
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:44:12
Tony

Can't remember how much goo the wings took, but just weigh the cloth..  You'll
need that much, including the micro slurry coat.  Then add some for safety,
and a bit more for method to follow.

We found that the layup is so big that even with temps in the 70's (F), time
is a factor.  Rollers will be impractical, because they need be large enough
not to sag in a 12-foot length.  Just place felt-tip marks along the
centerline on the cloth, and gently fold it in from each side toward the
centerline, so two guys can hold the cloth so as to lay it taught on the
leading edge, using the marks as a guide.  Let it flop down the sides and
smooth it out.

Reason that this is easy is that we didnt paint the foam beforehand.
Although biaxial cloth doesnt wet out easy at all, if you paint epoxy first,
by the time it's all mixed and applied, it's starting to thicken.  Mix in 6-8
ounce batches, spending extra time mixing than usual, and pour it between two
cups several times in the process.   Slap it on fast (rollers from Aircraft
Spruce work greatdiscard when done, they wont clean easy).  Squeegee it
around, without fussing too much about moving it to dry spots  add more for
those.  Then, follow your helper who fans the layup with a hair dryer, while
you squeegee off the excess into a mud pan drywallers use.  Trash the excess,
peel-ply, and pop open a brew.

Hope this helps,
Fred Fillinger, A063

On 9/26, Tony Renshaw wrote--

Gidday,
Those who have built their wings(the old way), can you please tell me
how much epoxy you used on "each" leading edge? My epoxy just expired
and I have sourced some locally downunder, but I want to make sure I
have enough before I launch. I'd also appreciate any application
techniques recommended, or pitfalls highlighted, such as size of mixes,
unusual methods of mixing ( if any), initail foam wetout using 3-4"
paintbrushes etc. Also has anyone rolled the leading edge cloth onto 2
rollers and rolled the cloth down each side keeping it tight to avoid
any ripples that would stick due to a wetted out substrate? Is this
impractical or just not necessary? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm
about to hit my straps, I hope!
E-mail reply to <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>

Reg
Tony Renshaw