Re: Pitot position

Subject: Re: Pitot position
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 09:14:31
Jim --

Thanx for the comments.  The advantage I believe of combining pitot/static is
that any erroneous pressure seen by the pitot is offset a bit by the static.
At 10-12 inch length, you'll need rigidity, and Europa 's method of attaching
it to the fin should be beefed up.  Just a suggestion.

I agree with your approach to the filler situation.  The supplied filler is
harder to sand than SuperFil, and my test the other day shows it's about 60%
heavier.  I've started the task now, mixed in with remaining fuselage work, to
avoid having to do it in one go toward the end (not fun at all, is it?).

Re Poly Fiber's Super Shield (if that's what you refer to), I live in
northeast Ohio, but was wondering if you tried the stuff yet?  Their web site
show it to be very dark, but they say sands to silver, which wouldn't be too
bad for the topcoat to cover without weighty excess.  Incidentally, I tried to
buy some Smooth Prime from Wicks, but they said PolyFiber will not ship except
direct, due to some unidentified problem they're working on.

Good luck on your project.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063

On 9/26 you wrote --

<< Fred, I am going to put my pitot AND static at the fin position.   I'm
going to elevate and move forward the pickup up points.  This will make the
pitot pickup at least 10 to 12 inches above the top of the fin and the static
about 1-1/2" below it as per Tony Bingelis and the formula he puts in his
book.  I'm trying to eliminate as many hook ups when rigging and de-rigging.
Right now I've got electrical--strobes and AOA.  I don't want  anything that
is critical if it screws up and gets forgotten or doesn't stay in place.  I
know it has had problems but I think that  a higher and forward with both
pitot and static will solve that problem.  I want it to look halfway decent
also.  but it will be fairly obvious.  If I wing mount it,  I think Grahams??
way  by routing the lines in the flap closeout with nylon tubing is a good
idea.>>

<< Just finished putting in the cockpit module.  Rear bulkhead and now doing
the stab. trim tab actuating lugs. Still have to fill the wings.  I think I'm
going to use the europa filler for the first go around.   Just fill the weave
and then use the light weight filler from "poly fiber". to finish it off.
That Poly fiber can go on in layers and feather fine.  If you use europa's you
have to do it with one fill coat. If you try to add a second layer to fill a
low spot, it doesn't go well.  That is where Poly fiber comes in .  It blends
well and can be layered. Also, the fill with a water based filler for pin
holes works great. By the way where are you located?  I've got two gallons of
their UV shield. I would be glad to spread some around as I don't need that
much. Let me know. >>

                                        EuropaJim
                                        St. Petersburg, Fl.