Re: Fuel Tank Inspections and Gages

Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Inspections and Gages
From: TroyMaynor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:35:23
Pops,
Hi. I returned the bendable probe and got a standard 24" because the top 3
inches doesn't read. This accounts for about one fourth the tanks capacity. I
thought it was bendable the full length. I was going to try and bend it to
compensate for the non-linear reading. In calibrating the gauge for the full
and empty marks; after the length has been shortened to fit the tank, I used a
piece of  3/4" PVC pipe filled with gas to simulate a full tank. Make sure you
sling the fuel out of the inner tube before making any empty adjustments. It
took me a few tries to get a consistant readings. Anyways, I just mounted it
in the deepest part which put it concealed under the port headrest. If it ever
has to be removed I will have to come up with a way to make a portion of the
headrest removable. I poured in fuel a gallon at a time and marked the gauge.
Afterwards removing all the marks except at quarter capacity increments. Crude
but effective. (I plan to also have a fuel flow gauge anyway and a sight
gauge.)
I hope I've been of some help.

Troy #120