Flap Setup

Subject: Flap Setup
From: Edward Gladstone <TedGladstone@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:58:01

John J Moran  wrote:-

>>I saw a similar effect where both flaps did not contact their UP stops
>>simultaneously while setting up the flap drive mechanism.  I noted that
the up
>>stop on the flaps seems to be contact of the bottom LE of the flap with
the
>>lower edge of the closeout and is quite positive. Also, the flap drive
pushrod
>>provides some spring action by virtue of its peculiar shape.
>>.............. .................
>>
>>The DOWN position is less positively fixed since it isn't set by a stop
but
>>rather by the pushrod.  It's unclear how to correct a rolling tendency
with
>>flaps deployed should this occur -- Ed Kolano saw this problem with ELSA
>>during his evaluation flight, see "Sport Aviation" for August 1995.

We carefully filed the top and bottom of the flap actuating arm slots in
the side of the fuselage to act as the up and down stops for the flaps.
File a little at a time on each side as you get close to the final position
as altering the top stop on one side has a slight opposite effect on the
other side .  With this method you can very accurately adjust for the
correct flap movement on each side.   We also reinforced the inner skin of
the fuselage in the area of the top and bottom of the flap slots with two
layers of bid and flox to thicken it in the area where the flap actuating
arm will abut it.

Ted & Justin