Re: Flap Setup

Subject: Re: Flap Setup
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:08:35
Re: Flap Setup

I seem to remember a long time ago that this question came up but I'm not
sure it was ever resolved.

The offset flap cross-tube/flap actuating rod (biased towards the starboard
(right) side of centreline) seems to result in the port (left) flap not
quite reaching the fully up position - pulled down it seems by the weight
of the outrigger leg which does not have an uplock. The starboard flap is
fine.

Now I'm not talking much - just 1/8th inch or so at the trailing edge but I
have incorporated wing fillet extensions which blends in the flaps to the
fuselage in traditional style (which it turns out is more for looks than
aerodynamic cleanliness according to some who have tufted their fuselages
to see the effect) so the slight difference in retraction is more
noticable.

Did we ever find a way of stopping the flexing/twisting (made worse no
doubt by 2 or 3g turns pulling the outrigger leg down further) or will the
landing gear bungee help to even out the balance? Its far easier to put the
flaps down than to raise them at this stage so presumably you will bias the
landing gear bungee accordingly.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas